Now and Zen Fresh Strawberry Almond TartPhoto: way opening of flickr
We discovered this fabulous recipe through the photo of it at flickr.com by way opening. Thanks! It makes me want to get hold of a copy of "The Now and Zen Epicure Cookbook," by Miyoko Nishimoto Schinner too, as this recipe originates from there. The method is an approximation of the original apparently.
Can't find what your looking for? Search all of the ActiVeg Network recipes.
- Filling* 1 cup blanched almonds or almond meal
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup water (use more water with whole, blanched almonds than almond meal)
- 3 to 5 tablespoons fruit juice concentrate
- syrup or sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons water
- several drops lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot or cornstarch/cornflour
- several tablespoons soya milk
- Topping* 4 1/2 cups fresh strawberries or other fruit
- 3 to 4 more tablespoons syrup, or a covering of veggie gelly
- Pastry case* 1 almond pastry case (see pastry recipes), prebaked, or whole wheat pie crust
- Heat up the filling liquids & arrowroot/cornstarch, mixing continuously until thickening, then add the ground almonds.
- Spread evenly in the flan case.
- Arrange the fruit on top and cover with syrup sweetener (or you could use a veggie jelly).
If you don't have strawberries, try kiwi or another pretty fruit.
- Difficulty: Experienced
- Preparation: Advance
- Provides: 4 servings
- Yields: 8 small tarts or one large one
- Vegginess:: Vegan
This recipe was reproduced with the kind permission of.