Now and Zen Almond Shortcrust PastryPhoto: way opening of flickr
A great sweet nutty pastry which beautifully compliments fruity and creamy desserts.
Make the pastry dough in advance and chill it for several hours before you roll it.
If you don't have almonds, try another nut like pecans or cashews, and maybe some sesame seeds, finely ground.
Can't find what your looking for? Search all of the ActiVeg Network recipes.
- 85g (3/4 cup) wholemeal flour
- 150g (3/4 cup) blanched almond meal or powder (this should be very fine)
- pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons vegan margarine (chilled and cut into little cubes).
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup or other sweetener
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons water
- Combine the flour, almond meal, and salt in a bowl.
- With a pastry cutter or mixer on low speed, cut in the margarine until it resembles coarse meal.
- Mix in the sweetener and the brandy to hold it all together.
- Chill several hours or overnight before rolling out, or you will have a sticky mess.
- Preheat the oven to 175C / 350F.
- After rolling out the pastry, place in a lightly oiled tin.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool before filling with pastry cream, custard, fresh fruit, or other filling of your choice (see strawberry almond tart recipe).
- Difficulty: Experienced
- Preparation: Bake
- Provides: 8 servings
- Yields: 1 pastry crust
- Vegginess:: Vegan
- Preparation: 15 minutes
- Cooking: 15 minutes
- Total: 30 minutes
This recipe was reproduced with the kind permission of.