Convert Your Own Cake
Vegan cakes are very easy to make and don't taste any different to egg-cakes, so you can simply make one cake for everyone to share, which makes life a lot easier!
There are three alternative ways to make a vegan cake, the first being the least effective at altitude, the third usually being the best:
- use a standard cake recipe and replace:
- replace eggs with egg replacer (gives a bit of a dry taste, so we prefer the alternatives below)
- replace butter with the same amount of vegan marg, or two thirds the amount of veg/olive/sunflower oil
- use the above butter alternatives, and instead of the egg
replacer try using all the following together:
- a teaspoon of baking powder (as well as using self-raising flour)
- some fruit puree, such as banana or cooked apple, or some soya yoghurt
- follow a vegan cake recipe, of which there are many on the Internet and some of my favourites here.
Can't find what your looking for? Search all of the ActiVeg Network recipes.
- all your normal ingredients with the non-vegan ones replaced as above
- Mix quickly so the cake starts cooking as the raising agents start creating their bubbles.
- Cook for the same amount of time, same temperature, as your original recipe.
Enjoy your explorations!
- Preparation: 15 minutes
- Cooking: 45 minutes
This recipe was reproduced with the kind permission of.