Banana Bread PuddingPhoto: Sophie
An incredibly easy dessert using up ripe bananas and dry bread and making them delicious. I invented this in Tignes, with all ingredients easily available in the Sherpa mini supermarket.
Can't find what your looking for? Search all of the ActiVeg Network recipes.
- a small loaf or a bagette of day-old bread (can be older if not mouldy, as it doesn't matter how dry it is)
- 70g vegan margarine or vegetable oil
- generous sprinkle of sugar
- 1-2 ripe bananas, chopped
- 1-2 handfuls chopped dried bananas or other dried fruit, such as cranberries, raisins, etc
- 1 handful (optional) of pine kernels or other nuts/seeds
- 0.5 litres of vanilla soya milk, or plain soya milk plus 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 carton of soya cream or coconut milk/cream (use natural soya yogurt or more soya milk if neither of these available)
- Break up bread into small chunks and spread in an oven-proof dish that is at least 5cm deep. Drizzle with oil or spread with margarine.
- Scatter chopped banana, dried fruit and nuts/seeds throughout.
- Cover with the dairy-free creams & milks, so all is coated, and bread is just submerged.
- Sprinkle generously with sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 25-35mins at 180C until gently browned on top.
For a soya-free version or just variety use oat or rice milk instead of soya.
This recipe is easy to multiply up and very flexible on quantities of ingredients, just make sure the bread is just covered with liquid and it'll be fine.
- Preparation: 10 minutes
- Cooking: 30 minutes
- Total: 40 minutes
This recipe was reproduced with the kind permission of.