On this Page
- Making any Recipe Vegan
- Notes for Chalet/Hotel Hosts and Managers
- Staff Training
- Is it vegan?
Recipes are listed under breakfast ideas, starters, mains, sides and sauces, desserts and cakes. However, ideas can be mixed around between courses. More recipes will be added to each section as time goes on.
All recipes listed here are suitable for both vegetarians and vegans and anyone else who likes good food. You will also find them particularly handy for those on religious and healthy diets.
- Vegetarian Breakfast Ideas
- Recipes: Cakes and Biscuits
- Recipes: Starters and Snacks
- Recipes: Main Dishes
- Recipes: Sides and Sauces
- Recipes: Desserts
I'm also building a page of links to recipe sites I'd recommend.
And if these aren't enough, here are some links to more recipes.
Nearly any recipe can be made into a vegan version. It's great fun trying this out.
A vast variety of foods are vegan, including widely available vegan dairy products, egg and meat substitutes for direct replacement in your cooking.
Our very own simple veganising guide shows you how.
Once you've got your head round it and are over the shock, catering for vegetarians and vegans is not that hard at all. Catering well is what will bring us back again and again, as vegan loyalty is huge - we vote with our stomachs!
Here are some key tips to help set your mind in gear before going on to the recipe ideas.
- First see our ingredients list. It includes items to buy in the UK before the season (extending your range and lowering your costs), and what special ingredients to look out for locally. It also has a definition of what is vegan.
- Also look at our veganising recipes page, for simple conversion of your non-veggie recipes to veggie and vegan versions
- A hand blender is an essential item.
- All recipes here are for approximately 4 people unless stated, depending on how you serve them. Vegans eat a lot, so err on the side of double portions!
- All dishes here are vegan, though most people won't realise that when eating them, and thus are suitable for all your clients.
- These recipes are only the tip of the iceberg, but we hope they open your eyes to the possibilities of vegan catering. Once you get the hang of it you won't be resorting to a tomato sauce, ratatouille or fruit salad.
Catering for vegetarians and vegans is an important part of staff training, and your chalet hosts will be very grateful for it. If you are a posh chalet with trained chefs, you'll be helped a lot if they've done some training at the Cordon Vert school. With the right backup, such as these pages, untrained chalet hosts can also do an excellent job for vegetarians and vegans.
From our experience your veggie guest will be best off with either Cordon Vert training or a chalet host with no professional training at all. A professional chef with no vegetarian cookery training can lack the humility to learn something new, though those with imagination can be wonderful exceptions. Some of our most hearty skiing meals have been provided by chalet hosts with just the standard start-of-season training and good support and vegan recipes from their managers and guests.
It really helps to include in your training sessions:
- the definition of vegetarian & vegan (err on the stricter side so more peple are covered)
- what ingredients to buy, and which you've brought from the UK
- example vegan recipes they can use on all guests, such as a cake and a satay sauce.
- what resources you have available for them and who they can turn to for advice (try us).
Slack weeks are a great time to try ot recipes for guests later in the season, and to check wich ingredients your big supermarkets have.
For clues on what is vegan, refer to the vegan definition on the ingredients page.
Please contact us if you have any suggestions for this page, or any others.
Add your comment
Story posted by on 2005-10-03 13:55:48.
Story last updated by on 2007-10-19 13:37:40.
Veggie Snow is a bunch of people who want to make it easier for you to cater for all the dairy-intolerant people, vegetarians and vegans who stay with you. People with special diets tend to be loyal customers who bring their friends. Giving them tasty dishes should serve you well and give you experience of making dairy-free dishes that are widely required and enjoyed.
Our tips and recipes will seriously help you if you have dairy-free or egg-free guests as well, as well as halal, kosher and other religious customers. Your eyes will be opened to a whole new tasty suite of dishes suitable for everyone.
There are no two ways about it, global warming is set to severely impact skiing in Europe and the rest of the world. So even if you are no environmentalist, if you want to be skiing in your later life, it's time to do something now!
We've found traveling by train to be the most restful and enjoyable way to the Alps. It is often the fastest, with short transfers, and can give you an extra couple of days skiing if you take a sleeper. We find that by taking a sleeper there is no better way to get there ready to ski. You'll also be helping the snow to last for many more years to come.
However, it is just not immediately obvious how easy it is to get to so many resorts in this way. So we're here to help.