Catering for vegans - simple check listPhoto: laurat of flickr.com
Even if you already have vegan menu ideas, these tips and our Catering Guide will help you perfect them to make your vegetarian, dairy-free and egg-free guests return year after year. Vegan catering applies to such a wide range of special diets that it is a solution that meets most needs.
There's no need to let pride get in the way, as few good chefs have had much of a chance to consider which vegan dishes will bring the most reward. You doing so will make you special and valued.
These quick tips will get you quickly up to speed with catering better than ever for vegans & the dairy intolerant.
- Put generous amounts of vegan high-protein ingredients in all main dishes. For example: beans, pulses, lentils, tofu, mock meats, nuts, nut butters
- Tasty vegan cakes are easy to make and rise well at altitude too, plus your non-vegan guests won't be able to taste the difference, so you can serve everyone the same cakes. There's no better way to make loyal customers!
- Basic extra shopping items include: soya milk, soya yoghurt, vegan margarine (or get your guests to bring some from the UK), peanut butter, yeast extract (e.g. Marmite)
- For further shopping ideas see our Vegetarian Ingredients list and the vegan alternatives tables in the Veganising Recipes guide.
- There are many more vegan desserts than just fruit-based ones; you can make rich and creamy dairy-free puddings very simply, try Veggie Snow's dessert recipes.
- Simple interesting cooked breakfasts are easy too, such as pancakes, scrambled tofu (Bjorg tofu is in most supermarkets in France), porridge, fried onions and mushrooms.
For further great ideas for converting your existing recipes and serving more winning vegetarian dishes see our Veggie Snow Catering Guide.
Author: Sophie Fenwick-Paul
Add your comment
Story posted by on 2008-07-08 16:19:49.
Story last updated by on 2010-12-08 11:13:39.
Veggie Snow is a bunch of people who want to make it easier for you to cater for all the dairy-intolerant people, vegetarians and vegans who stay with you. People with special diets tend to be loyal customers who bring their friends. Giving them tasty dishes should serve you well and give you experience of making dairy-free dishes that are widely required and enjoyed.
Our tips and recipes will seriously help you if you have dairy-free or egg-free guests as well, as well as halal, kosher and other religious customers. Your eyes will be opened to a whole new tasty suite of dishes suitable for everyone.
There are no two ways about it, global warming is set to severely impact skiing in Europe and the rest of the world. So even if you are no environmentalist, if you want to be skiing in your later life, it's time to do something now!
We've found traveling by train to be the most restful and enjoyable way to the Alps. It is often the fastest, with short transfers, and can give you an extra couple of days skiing if you take a sleeper. We find that by taking a sleeper there is no better way to get there ready to ski. You'll also be helping the snow to last for many more years to come.
However, it is just not immediately obvious how easy it is to get to so many resorts in this way. So we're here to help.